We are smack dab in the middle of Fall and the temps are dropping! I’m not complaining at all, but I’m starting to venture further away from my morning breakfast smoothies and starting to crave more savory dishes.
I know it’s not the healthiest dish. But it’s soooo good. There’s something about biscuits and gravy in the Fall that fills you up, warms you up, and gives you all the Fall feels! We indulge in this dish every couple of weeks during the colder months, and I don’t let myself feel the least bit guilty about it.
After all, that’s what cardio is for!
So….if your itching for your own plate of homemade biscuits and sausage gravy, I’ve got the easiest recipe for ya!
Let’s start with an easy homemade biscuit recipe! No Fail!
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2cup butter (1 stick) chilled and cut into cubes
1Tablespoon baking powder
3/4 cups milk (preferably whole milk or butter milk)
1. Combine all the dry ingredients into a large bowl with a sifter or just run a whisk through it a few good times.
2. “Cut in” the cubes of butter. You can use a mixer, a pastry blender, a fork, or if you want to get real fancy like me, use your hands! Work in the butter until you get pebble size crumbles.
3. Stir in the milk until just incorporated. Don’t overmix it!
4. Form dough into a disc and move to a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for about a minute.
5. Roll dough to about 1/2-3/4 of an inch thick. I use a mason jar lid to cut my biscuits, but I guess you could use an actual biscuit cutter…
This recipe should yield 6-8 fluffy biscuits, so you might have to make a double batch if your feeding a hungry bunch!
1 pound of breakfast sausage
1/4 Cup flour
2 Cups milk
1 deep skillet
1. Brown the sausage on medium heat in the skillet until all pink is gone. Feel free to drain the excess fat if you’d like.
2. Add 1/4 cup flour to the sausage and let the flour cook in for about a minute.
3. Stir in 2 cups milk, turn stove down to low, and let simmer until you get the consistency you prefer. Stir occasionally.
4. Serve warm on top of homemade biscuits and prepare to have everyone bowing at your feet!